Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Prime Ministerial Mission - V1183

It's not every day you get to meet the Prime Minister, so a new dress was required. I bought this Kay Unger pattern as soon as it was published, and just needed a good excuse to make it. Diving into my stash I found the most unlikely fabric - a faux suede furnishing fabric. I washed it a few times to beat it into submission, and finally it succumbed under my iron.


The dress was a breeze to put together. I took the centre seam out of the back and back yoke, shortened the yoke front and back by 3/4" (I'm pretty short-waisted!) and popped in a side zip. I also lengthened it by 4cm and put in a vent rather than a slit at the back.

 
Not sure if Prime Minister Key noticed my lovely frock last night as I was talking to him, but I felt wonderful in it. Thanks Kay Unger and Vogue for an awesome pattern.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Gorgeous Georgette - Vogue 2850

Gorgeous Georgette - Vogue 2850

Vogue 2850 by Anna Sui
I loved this Anna Sui pattern from the moment I saw it, but wasn't sure how it would look on me. It's a lot more soft and feminine than the other things I wear, so I didn't want to risk spending too much on fabric just in case I didn't like the result much.

One day I spied this gorgeous blue georgette in a sale at Spotlight. It was the most fabulous colour and of course, being georgette, the ideal drape for the project.

When I first started cutting out the pattern tissue they seemed to be the most improbable shapes, with big curving swoops and spirals. I decided that I should just trust in all the Vogue patterns that I've made previously and not worry about the physics.

Let me say, you need patience in spades to make this top. Every piece has to be cut on a single layer of very delicate slippery fabric, making a lot of pieces.

Then there's the hemming. The cover photo shows a satin overlock stitch on the chiffon, but I chose to narrow hem every single piece that required it - and it was worth every single minute for the finish I managed to achieve.



When I first put the top on, I was struck by a couple of things. Firstly how low that front is. It's not shamefully low, just lower than I'm used to wearing. I think I'll put a tiny clear snap at the overlap to ensure that there are no 'wardrobe malfunctions'.

Secondly, the empire waist. Throughout the planning stage, I had to fight the urge to lower the waist to be in a natural position - and I'm so glad I did! The silhouette as intended is incredibly flattering, and a delight to wear.

I'm happy wearing it with jeans or dressier garments.

I would highly recommend making this top, and unusually for me, I plan to make it again!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pyjama Party - Butterick 5219 and Simplicity 9505


Pyjamas make the most wonderful muslins. No matter how badly they fit, within reason(!), you can be sure of getting at least some wear out of them.

This particular pair was drafted from Butterick 5219 and Simplicity 9505.

The Top
The top was made from a lovely coral coloured lightweight jersey. I made view B in a size 8, but chose to just lengthen it rather than cut a separate hem band. The pattern was fairly straightforward, and went together easily. I chose to interface the collar rather than the facing, as the jersey was so light.

Not a huge fan of hand sewing, I made up the collar and serged it on, which worked really well. The fit wasn't bad, but as other bloggers noticed, the fit at the back neck is poor.

I'll make this again, but will pinch out triangles around the back neckband before I cut it next time to get a snugger fit.

The Bottoms


The bottoms were from Simplicity 9505. This was a really simple one piece pattern with no side seams. I made the smallest size, but they were still a bit baggy, and not quite the preferred shape. Still, they gave me a chance to use this gorgeous lurex striped super soft cotton from my stash. I scored it from Global Fabric's sale before the earthquake wrecked their shop.